La Mirada Pop Warner CHALLENGER
The mission of the Challenger Sports Program is to provide exercise, athletics and an opportunity for community-based socialization for children with special needs.
The Challenger Sports Program was established in La Mirada Pop Warner Football and Cheer in 2013. The flag football and cheer program is offered to children who have special needs, who live in La Mirada and surrounding communities, who are of any age and ability. As of 2016, there are a total of 12 Challenger Programs in OEC.
The La Mirada Challenger Football and Cheer program started small. It has quickly grown into a visible Challenger programs in OEC. Our Challengers have played in the several Bowl games. The program’s success can be attributed to the many volunteers that so freely give their time to help socialize the children and teach them the game of football.
We encourage you to check the game schedule this August and check out a Challenger game. It is truly an uplifting experience and a great football game.
Matadores Challenger Football
Head Football Coach
The Challenger program is a non-competitive program and no score is kept. The games are modeled after typical Pop Warner game with the warm-ups, coin toss, etc. Participation in the Challenger Division is permitted at the request of the individual's parent or guardian.
Challenger Football Rules
• Challenger Division follows Pop Warner Flag rules with the modifications as noted below.
• All children with physical or emotional disabilities, which include wheelchair participants are welcome.
• Teams must roster a minimum of 10 players, yet no more than 28 players.
• Games are played with a minimum of five players on each side. This can increase as participant numbers increase.
• Teams will play one game per week.
• All players will receive an equal amount of playing time.
• Pop Warner recommends team helpers to be a minimum of 13 years of age to assist participants.
• Fields will be the standard flag field (set up of 80 yards).
• Each association will provide it's participants with team jerseys, cheer uniforms, and flags.
• One coach will be permitted on the field of play at all times.
• Teams play four, 15 minute, running clock, quarters.
For questions regarding the rules noted here or anything not mentioned, please contact: Robert Correa
Every La Mirada Pop Warner football and cheer participant must Participate with the teams snack bar week. As well as the Leagues Snack Bar Duty. Parents are also required to volunteer at our fireworks booth (These duties are Mandatory to participate in the La Mirada Pop Warner Program)